Friday, November 4, 2011

Frugal Friday - oatmeal cookies from scratch!

I was craving the homemade smell of oatmeal cookies the other day. I thought, I can either go to the store and buy some fake smelly thing or really make some oatmeal cookies. I got to town and started baking. How hard can it be?? I have to be honest, I'm not very good all the time with following directions when it comes to baking. I usually end of putting alittle too much of this or alittle too much of that. I got the ingredients together and it didn't seem too challenging, but with baking, it never does and it always is! Here are the ingredients -

3 cups instant oatmeal (I used regular old fashioned instead of instant because thats what I had, I thought I'd just try it and see what happened, this was where I went wrong I think! when you use instant, the oats absorb less water than with regular oats, with regular, the cookie seemed alittle too dry, like sconie instead of cookiey)
1 cup warmed butter
1tsp vanilla extract
1tsp cinnamon (I love cinnamon and may have put more like 2 tsp in there! I know, I'm bad with sticking to the recipe with this baking stuff!)
1tsp baking soda
2 eggs
1 cup sugar (I used about a 1/2 cup of sugar and 2 tablespoons of agave sweetener syrup)
2 cups all purpose flour
1 tsp salt

Mix all dry ingredients together in one bowl. Then mix all wet ingredients in another bowl.  Pour wet into the dry bowl. Mix together. I had some fun and mixed with my hands:)


 Take mixture and roll into cookie balls and then flatten. Put into the oven at 350 for 20 minutes.
 Let cool and taste! they were yum but like I said above, alittle more like a scone than a cookie:) Just need to have them with jam I guess.

Happy Friday to you!!!

2 comments:

  1. I adore making cookies from scratch, so I am in!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I usually follow a recipe to the letter the first time I try it and then I mess with it later. But lately, I've been doing my own thing. Kind of scary. hahaha.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and dropping some comment love!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...